How to eliminate the mold from the bath in a safe and ecological way

Immaculate, partner and reader of, makes us the following request in the text of an email: "I would like to know if there is any effective remedy, and that does not harm the environment, to remove the mold that appears in the tiles andtogether of my shower due to moisture. It is removed with bleach, but I feel sorry to use such harmful remedy. "

Why should we worry about something as domestic as mold?

Saber más

First, clarify that the use of bleach to eliminate mold spots from bathrooms or kitchens where humidity perches does not have to harm the environment.The reason is that the bleach or sodium hypochlorite is a type of salt that degrades to give rise to other harmless component for the medium, which are also perfectly neutralized in purification, since it is not a stable compound in the presence of water.

The sodium hypochlorite when reacting with water causes hypochlorous acid, and this is in turn disintegrated in hydrochloric acid and oxygen.But when dissolved in water, it decomposes slowly, causing sodium, hydroxyl chlorides and radicals, which in turn can oxidize organic compounds or react to form water and oxygen.That is to say that it degrades to finally give salt, oxygen and water.Therefore it is a perfectly adequate method to remove the mold, as we report in bleach or ammonia: which is better to clean?

Now, without a doubt due to the gases that can emanate from this substance when used in high concentrations, it is considered irritating for eyes, mucous membranes and respiratory tract, and consequently its use is not advised in little ventilated places.Such may be the case of a shower, since if it has humidity spots it is because it does not ventilate well.Additionally, its oxidizing power makes its use without gloves advisable, since it dries and can cause dermal injuries.

Alternatives to bleach

Cómo eliminar el moho del baño de una manera segura y ecológica

Therefore, from the point of view of health it can be interesting to look for alternatives to bleach to remove the mold of joints and bathrooms of bathrooms, kitchens, and other places.Thus, when the appearance of spots is recent, ethyl alcohol can be used at 80% or burn alcohol, as well as 3% hydrogen peroxide.Another possibility is the use of 5%sodium bicarbonate, which can be purchased both in drug stores and in the home section of supermarkets.Finally, concentrated vinegar is also recommended, that is, without diluting.

In all four cases we will soak a scourer with the solution and scratch the humidity, which will detach without problem.If the mold resists, we can use a brush to scratch with more force.If it was old, the thing is complicated because the spores may have penetrated the slim - the plaster of the joints - and we will have no choice but to eliminate the slurry scratching and then apply it again.There are grout dispensing devices that serve to bleach together.

Anyway, we will ensure that moisture spots do not perpetuate themselves in the grout to avoid having to scratch again.If not, we will have no choice but to pull bleach, because it is the most effective method, especially when the mold has been developing time.A preventive method that we can use to avoid its appearance is to pass the dryer for a few minutes through the shower walls after using it to prevent wet, or buy a dehumidifier.Another remedy is to do works to improve bath ventilation.

Is mold dangerous?

Although moisture spots are not only due to mold, since there is also the presence of some algae and bacteria, this is predominant, especially when they proliferate on the plaster of the joints to decompose the organic matter that may accumulate.In our article, should we worry about something as domestic as mold? Should we worry about something as domestic as mold?Liver cancer due to the intake of AflatoxinsaFlatexins of the molds, an especially toxic type of mycotoxins.

In the case of bathrooms and showers it is clear that we will not ingest the mold or its aflatoxins, but it must be taken into account that the fungus releases spores in the form of powder in the environment, and that these spores, combined with moisture, can give allergic reactionsof eye and nose stinging and asthma to people with autoimmune sensitivity in the respiratory tract.Therefore, the presence of moisture spots, beyond aesthetic motivations, is considered unhealthy and unfortunate.

Si no te quieres perder ninguno de nuestros artículos, Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe to our newsletters